Sunday 28 May 2017

The Listening Club - 28th May 2017

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing as well as can be expected. Here in Amstersam we're recovering from a scorching weekend, with a weather blip giving us a glorious few days, topping out at 34°C yesterday, Needless to say barbecues and cold beers have been the order of the days, along with a couple of gigs, one mighty fine one from Jim Jones and his new band The Righteous Mind, and one not so fine one from Kamixlo (backing track, wall of fog & going "wawawa" into a mic synth = must try harder). All very well and groovy.

Last week, @MrHig was in the chair, fucking with conventions and minds with his collision of Taylor Swift's "1989" and Ryan Adams' cover of the same, along with a guest appearence by Screaming Females, which caused the expected range of emotional responses. Thanks to Matt for the experience, and for flipping the frisb across the pond to @wojsvenwoj, who is right here with this week's intro...

"Even when not sitting in the captain's chair, I'm always thinking about what album to pick -- as I'm sure most of you do as well. I've ascertained from reading these little introductory vignettes that selecting favorites - artists, albums, genres -- seems to be something shied away from. I can understand that and have doen the same myself. That's not to say what I've selected previously are not albums I'm invested in or that my self-worth is tied up in your reactions to them but I've not felt like putting something I'm really attached to out there I guess. Maybe just wanted to ease into it? Who knows, really.

In any case, figured it was time to shift that paradigm (sorry) so here is the latest record by one of my favorite artists. I don't seem to have as much time for listening as I used to so even though the album has been out for a year, I'm still learning it. It has a strange pace but I think it fits the mood of where she is in her artistic life, straddling the line between writing pop music and works for theatre, as well as her personal life. And this is a fairly personal album. I hope you enjoy it."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the old HearBeSpoilers stream is below.

See you 8pm BST (GMT+1)

No comments:

Post a Comment