Sunday 19 July 2015

The Listening Club - 19th July 2015

Greetings,

Happy Sunday Y'all - Hope you're doing good. Pleased to have the new homestead finally ready for guests here in Amsterdam this weekend, with My Own Mum being the inaugural guest, we'll see if we can tempt her with a little bit of #lc action later... Speaking of which, it's #vortex time again next week: I seem to recall a flurry of possible suggestions for themes over the past couple of weeks, so we'll have a chat about it tonight and decide then, yeh?

Last week @AndersHanson was in the chair, and took, I think, maybe the most daring #lc pick one can take, selecting something by his favourite band Delays, namely their debut album from 2004, "Faded Seaside Glamour" which seemed to go down rather well, I'm sure much to his relief. Many thanks to Anders for going for it, and for flipping back the baton to @tibieryo, who is right here with this week's intro...

"I heard about this band when they were longlisted for the Polaris Prize. I read the band name, and I thought "That's the stupidest fucking band name I have ever read."

I googled them out of sheer morbid curiosity and found their Bandcamp. Their genre was a 27-word paragraph. And I thought, "that is the most useless, pretentious, and self-consciously 'arty' thing I have ever read, and it's dumb."

Figuring it was a Sunday morning and I felt like going further down the rabbit hole cos I had nothing else to do, I pressed play on the first song on their first album. Within minutes, I had a new favourite band.

I make a habit of saying that there has been no progressive, innovative, or "new" music with a guitar as a lead voice since 1980. And very frequently, I have my head up my ass about something.

Here are a band, an album, and a genre of music I had my head up my ass about. The only downside is that their fans don't know how to pogo."

Okidoke. Direct download is here, and, if the gods are willing, come the hour, the mixcloud will still be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment