Sunday 12 July 2015

The Listening Club - 12th July 2015

Hey there,

Good to see you, hope the season is proving complementary to your fine selves and needs. Life goes on here in A-dam sensibly today, tidying, sorting and setting up the spare room for impending family and friends visits, after a rather delicious Friday drinking @nessiest's mighty fine melon & raspberry daiquiris in the sun whilst watching drunk Dutchies negotiate the watery highways, and a rather mellow Saturday dealing with the related hangover thereof. All par very much for the course, as you'd expect. Yay summer!

Back on planet #LC, @eastvanhalen was in the chair last week and hit quite an impressive home run with a collection of Mandrill's finest work, "Fencewalk: The Anthology". Many thanks to her for the pick and for sending the frisbee back across the atlantic to @AndersHanson, who is right here with this week's pre-match...

"Finally I've done it! This band has been on my shortlist other times I've made a Listening Club pick but either it just didn't feel the right time or I couldn't decide which album to pick. Finally I’ve gone with it.

This is without doubt my favourite band. I discovered them ten years ago when they released their first single and I've just loved everything about them. I love that I was living just five miles from where they grew up at the time I heard their first single. I love the title and the imagery of this album's artwork. I love that they've underachieved commercially even though you often hear their songs on TV. I love their floppy blonde haired pop cuteness yet also indy edge. I love that their lead singer talked about his depression at the time I was going through the same thing. And love that someone I fell in love with at the time this album came out was coincidentally also one of their small number of fans. Of course, I also love their catchy songs and their relaxed melodies but that should be obvious.

There’s so many other great songs of theirs I wish I could play, but in the end I went with their first album which is how I first discovered them and at last year's tenth anniversary tour they simply played it from beginning to end at each gig. Enjoy!"

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and, in shallah, come the hour, the mixcloud will still be here.

See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment