Sunday 15 June 2014

The Listening Club - 15th June 2014

Hey there!

Well, settling into a summer groove quite nicely here - festivals and outdoor events popping up left right and centre, so between those, prepping for Glastonbury and stopping to watch the locals quality international kickabout performance, there's more than enough entertainment to go round right now. Can't complain, really...

Chez #lc, thanks to @JimMcCauley for volunteering to host the #vortex in two weeks time whilst I'm away, now all we need is a theme... thinking caps on folks!

Last week, @emmaprice was in the chair, and soothed troubled souls with her pick of Mary Margaret O'Hara's sole album "Miss America". Big thanks to her for the selection, and for flipping the frisbee across to @mutster101, who is here with the pre-match...

"OK, this is either going to go really well or really badly.

When I got the frisbee again last week it seemed like only the day before that I'd last had it, but it turns out that was nearly three months.

Over the course of the week I had three or four possible picks, and I thought I'd settled on one of them. As I was reviewing my options browsing through iTunes, this album elbowed its way in and said "Pick me! Pick me! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Please!"

I considered its points, I decided that I actually quite liked the idea, even though it was not a typical LC pick, I got cold feet and nearly went back to one of my other choices, and then thought stuff it.

Ordinarily, I don't think I (or anyone else) would pick something like this for LC. It's a bit too mainstream and a bit too recent and a bit too well known. I'd be surprised if no other LCers had this album. However, since I have just had a week off and the weather has been mostly fantastic, I'm feeling quite summery, and this is (to me at least) very summery music. For best results it should be listened to while lying on grass and staring up at blue sky.

I was obsessed with this album last summer. I'd finally given in to the sneaky marketing ploy of buying the album again with an extra disc full of new stuff and did not regret the decision. And I listened to it a lot, lying on grass where possible.

I know that not everyone will see the summery side to this, and I know that some people will listen and think "What? Really?", and I also would not be entirely surprised if the summery weather has buggered off by 8pm tonight, but you know what? Sod it. Let's just go with it, yeah?"

Right Then! Download is here and the Mixcloud stream (which may reveal the song titles, you have been warned)  is here!

See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1)!



No comments:

Post a Comment