Sunday 17 November 2013

The Listening Club - 17th November 2013

Greetings to you all,

Well, well, here we are again - hope your week has been as good as all-things-considered possible, not bad here in A-dam, getting chillier by the day, but today's arrival of Sinterklass in Amsterdam is making the place seem rather festive already (just don't mention Zwarte Piet, mmkay?). Has been a good week for gigs also, with Fuck Buttons aural assault on Wednesday and John Wizards chirpy afro-bop on Saturday both sounding mighty fine. Tonight I shall be AWOL also, off to see the good Captain Caveman & His Bad Seeds... so hup ho, on with the show...

Last week @cakehugga was in the chair, and treated us to Imani Coppola's "The Glass Wall", which hit home with quite a few of you - big thanks to her for the pick and for sailing the frisbee down to @rougeforever, who is here with the pre-match...

"I pondered for a while about this week's choice.   We all do, don't we?   In the end I went with something that a lot of you may know - and some of you probably will know quite well.  This band have influenced a lot of the artists I really like, and I first picked up this album (in a very cool record shop in Portland, I think) from a Portland band who I really like (and who namechecked this band in an interview).   To be honest. there are a couple of songs on this record I like a little less...but there are several which blow most songwriting out of the water.  If you could bottle my psyche it would be in this record.  

It's another of those bands who are really just a front for the main singer/songwriter guy - and following the release of a couple of records he stopped making music or touring.  I've never seen this band live - I'm not sure I could without weeping for a month, such is the legendary status I've given them in my mind.

Oh - and by the way - I've noticed in the conversion to MP3 I have accidentally made the track quiet. TURN IT UP!"

Splendid! Dropbox direct mp3 download is here (right click save as), and the Mixcloud stream (which may reveal the track titles, you have been warned)  is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow @listeningclub for the admin.

The clocks have changed everywhere  now I think, so hopefully the time of clock confusion is over, and hope to see you tonight at 8pm GMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment