Sunday 4 August 2013

The Listening Club - 4th August 2013

Hello to you all.

Well, I really hoped this would never be something I'd be writing as an intro, but sadly, as many of you already know, our most esteemed and awesome #lc compatriot @jayesofine was killed yesterday in a cycling accident in Manchester. Jaye was part of this thing from the very beginning, and her excellent selections, boundless enthusiasm, wicked sense of humour and huge personality will be very much missed indeed. Although I never got the opportunity to meet her in person, she was, without a doubt, one of the people I've met through twitter that I had the most love and respect for - I'm truly gobsmacked that she's gone. My deepest love and sympathy goes out to @cakehugga and all their family and friends at this impossible time.

However, the show must go on, and Jaye would be the first one to insist on that, I think.

Last week we #videovortex-ed ourselves square eyed and much fun was had by all. As always, huge thanks for the selections - a great range of stuff. The tracklist has been added to the comments of last week's post if you want to see who picked what. Next month's vortex theme also got decided, and it will be "Cover versions that are better than the originals"!!! So get your thinking caps on...

Way back in time, I zipped the frisbee over to @emmaprice for her debut selection and here she is with the intro...

"So I'm a bit nervous about my first catch of the frisbee. I've spent a while thinking about albums I thought you'd all enjoy or be intrigued by. One of the things I love about #listeningclub is the unexpected discoveries I've made so I thought I'd give you one of mine.

You know the feeling when you meet someone special and realise you both have music in common deep down somewhere primal. There follows many conversations about bands, gigs and lending of albums (and maybe the odd mix tape) There's a need to share the joy that music brings with someone you know will appreciate it. You keep remembering things you want to tell them and hear their reaction to. You discover bands and songs you'd never have found on your own but which leave their mark on you.

This is how I discovered my album. It sums up for me the voyage of discovery I went on in my early 20's & reminds me of a time in my life where round every corner there was something new to be excited by.

Plus it never fails to get me dancing round the room. So I'll be cracking open a fresh pair of glow sticks and turning the volume up. I expect most of you will have heard this already but either way, Share and enjoy."

Okay, Direct download is here, Mixcloud stream (which may well reveal the track titles, you have been warned!) is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment