Sunday 12 May 2013

The Listening Club - 11th May 2013

Hey y'all,

Spring showers here in the 'Dam, so I'm resisting pressing my nose up against the window and instead getting on with some admin and book-keeping. Yeah, one of those days, but with fine super-shuffle for company (currently going from The Cure's "The Walk" to Strafe's "Set It Off"), even tallying my accounts doesn't seem so dull. Simple pleasures, eh? (he says pouring a cheeky lunchtime glass of red...)

Speaking of simple music pleasures, predictable link alert, hemhem... last week in this very locale, @JayeSoFine sent us spiralling back into the tuneful early 90s with Ultra Vivid Scene's "Joy 1967-1991". Many thanks to Jaye for the pick, and for sending the LC frisbee back across the Atlantic to @FaberFedor, who's here with the intro...

"(As I typed out the date in this folder name I thought "Is it November already?!")

It was the Mid-80s. I was hanging out in the Physics lab with my friend/instructor. Our friend Mojo walked in and said "My husband and I picked this up on our latest trip to Australia.  You have got to hear this." She popped in a cassette tape and pushed play. First song was okay. Second song was great! There were other gems on that tape as well. That tape went into heavy rotation in the lab.

Thus began my little group's decades long obsession with a little-known Australian folk band. 

This live album, according to Wikipedia, is the height of their career. It is easily my favorite.  I especially like the long-winded story during the title track (a folk music tradition). If you don't know much about Australia, you'll still like the story and other references made throughout the album. If you do know a thing or two about Oz (Ayer's Rock, Ned Kelly, etc.) you'll _really_ enjoy it.

See ya' in the club!"

Strewth! Dropbox direct download is here, Mixcloud stream (which may well reveal the track titles) is here.

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!




No comments:

Post a Comment