Sunday 3 March 2013

Listening Club - 3rd March 2013


Heigh ho folks,

Another week and another sketchy hotel internet connection, so you're back, cheering on our intrepid hero as he pummels the refresh button on his browser, ducking and diving under heavy showers of 404s and DNS errors, attempting to bring you a small sliver of mystery joy of a Sunday afternoon. The future is only a router reset away, boys and girls...

Last week, in less fluctuating times, @NeilPBardhan stepped up to the LC plate for the first time, and funked us all out with Medeski, Martin & Wood's "Shack-Man" album from 1996. A cracking album, and very well received, so many thanks to him for the selection, and for the transatlantic frisbee flip across to @tibieryo for this week - over to him for the preamble...


"When I was a kid, my mother had a few discs in the car she'd play all the time. I was scared of one of them. The music was really dark. Less so the music. More so the lyrics. They were just absolute pitch black in tone.

But my only friend growing up (who shares his name with an MC of note with an album to release this year) was always laughing. He and I were both eight years old, and he'd be laughing at the lines he could understand and ignoring the ones he couldn't. The ones he couldn't understand were the ones that frightened me.

Ten years later, I was off and gone to college. Looking for new music to listen to, I remembered the best-of that my mother always pumped in the car. So I downloaded the discography. And I realized that while I'd been right to be scared as a child, my friend had been right to laugh, too.

It turns out they'd gone through a few periods, musically. This is one of the later albums, after sobering up. My mother prefers the earlier, angrier, wilder stuff. I prefer the later, sober, mature stuff.

I don't think my friend ever listened to anything like this again.

PS: Guess which song on this album is one of my favourite love songs ever written for bonus points."

Download is here (direct dropbox link), or the Mixcloud stream is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin!

Hope to see you at 8pm GMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment