Sunday 17 March 2013

Listening Club - 17th March 2013

Guten tag, my little chaps and chapolatas...

Hope all is fine and dandy with you - I'm taking a break from apartment hunting here in th' Dam to tap this out (which is more scam-avoidance than actual hunting right now - and I thought London was bad for accommodation scams... this place beats it hands down - caveat emptor in excelsis etc), but I'm optimistic, so feeling happy to crack open an afternoon beer and cross my fingers that the sun manages to poke thru the clouds some time soon so I can go for a pleasurable stroll.

Happy also to announce the forthcoming arrival of the Easter Vortex, as prompted by @jimmccauley, and themed by @tibieryo in a few quick tweets during the week, so yea verily, on Sunday 31st March it will occur - all of you please pick one tune in any language apart from English - email or DM me your choices, I'll shuffle them about and we'll see how far around the world we can get. Excitement awaits!

Meanwhile back in time, this time last week @alliswoon was clutching the #LC frisb, and came forward with Final Fantasy aka Owen Pallett's "He Poos Clouds", which got the assembled all hopped up on catgut arpeggios and sorcery. Many thanks to Allison for the pick, and for thrusting that man @jimmccauley back into the limelight once again. Over to Jim...


“So... ya wanna see Andy? Anybody gotta flashlight and a couple of shovels?”

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on with this week’s choice. Am I in a tiny minority of people who get the whole meta thing going on with this particular artist? Or am I drawing conclusions from circumstantial evidence and seeing a game that isn’t actually being played? I’m a sucker for a good rock and roll swindle, and this reeks of it to me. You can tell a man by the company he keeps and all that, and this one comes from a stable with plenty of previous.

I’m not even going to try categorise it; it’s a stylistic mish-mash, all over the place and filled with sunshine and sleaze more or less in equal measure, and I’m expecting it to be excellently divisive. Importantly, though, I came for the scam but I’ve stuck around for the tunes. Whether it’s 4real or not, it sounds pretty good to me. The UK contingent may well find more to point at because, well, you’ll see.

And anyway, wrong with being sexy?"

Yeah? Yeah. Download is here (direct dropbox link), or the Mixcloud stream is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin!

Hope to see you at 8pm GMT!


No comments:

Post a Comment