Sunday 5 August 2012

Listening Club - 5th August 2012

Hi there,

Yadda yadda yadda, Lympics Lympics Lympics. It's still here, and the city hasn't fallen over, much to some people's annoyance. If anything, as many have commented, outside of Lympic zones, things are rather quiet, which is fine by me.

"Rather quiet" however, is never a phrase one would choose to describe Listening Club, although there were a few gentle moments within @thejayarr's selection last week of Okkervil River's "Black Sheep Boy", which didn't quite bowl over the LC faithful, but a generally positive reaction was noted nonetheless. Thanks to @thejayarr for the pick, and for hoisting up @monkeytypes for another turn at the hot seat. Over to him...

"Well, here I am again in the hot seat and I can assure you that this does not get any easier. Leaving things dangerously late I spent a panicked Friday afternoon raiding my CD collection. While that took took me on an interesting journey including acts from New York, Berlin and Basildon, nothing seemed to stick. I grabbed a couple of my favourite compilations but they just didn't inspire. Then, with one final, frantic search, I spotted this week's choice.

This is actually a fairly recent release and was bought purely on the strength of the single, which I'd imagine most of you will be familiar with. The track certainly featured in a few mixes at the time, which is how I first heard it. And on hearing it I fell in love with it immediately, duly buying the album soon after. Now I'd not heard this for a few years but on playing it again, it just seemed right. So here we are.

This album is inventive, intelligent but most of all, it's fun. It's a reminder of what this genre is capable of and what it used to be. So open a bottle of your favourite beverage, turn the volume up and perhaps have a bit of a boogie.

And don't forget to comment. That's what makes Listening Club what it is.

Thank you for listening.

PS I think track 6 gives the game away if you don't know the album."

So there you go! Download is here (dropbox link), or you can stream via Mixcloud here.

Start time, as always, is 8pm BST (GMT+1). Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.  

See you at 8! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment